Caltech Now Offers Backup Childcare through Care.com
Care.com provides Caltech Non-Visiting Faculty, Benefits Eligible Staff, Postdocs, and Graduate Students access to the largest online community for backup childcare which is subsidized by Caltech. You will also have access to additional unsubsidized caregivers for adults, pets, and your home with the free Care.com membership.
Subsidized Backup Childcare
Eligible members will receive subsidized backup childcare when:
- Your babysitter or nanny is unavailable
- You need to work late
- Your regular daycare center is closed
- Your child's school is closed
- Your child is not feeling well
- You are working from home and need someone to watch the kids
Caltech will subsidize up to 10 days of backup childcare for children ages infant - age 16 from 3/1/22 through 2/28/23 per eligible Campus member. You pay a rate of $6/hour* for in-home backup childcare. The subsidized amount you receive toward childcare is considered taxable income, please reference the online FAQs for additional information.
Enroll Now At No Cost
- How to enroll with Care.com – Learn how to enroll so you are ready when you need backup childcare.
- Caltech.Care.com – After watching the video, enroll at Caltech.Care.comand be prepared.
- FAQs – Read the FAQs to have a better understanding of the benefit, payment/taxation process, common backup childcare questions, and more.
- How to request Backup Childcare – Understand the process so you know what to expect.
- The Caltech Benefits Backup Childcare Webpage will be updated next week with more information. Caltech Benefits
- For questions about Care.com backup childcare services, contact Care.com's customer service team:
- Call 855-781-1303 anytime, 24 hours a day
- Chat virtually by visiting Caltech.Care.com and clicking "contact us" in the top right corner
- For questions about Caltech backup childcare eligibility, contact the Caltech Benefits Department:
- Email [email protected]
- Call 626-395-6443 M-F 8am – 5pm PST
IRS Tax Information*
The value of any subsidy provided by Caltech to assist employees with backup childcare must be treated as taxable income.The subsidy is considered a taxable benefit and is treated by the IRS as income. The amount of income you receive that is associated with Care.com backup childcare is the difference between the fair market value of the service provided and your copayment. The subsidized amount you receive toward backup childcare will be included as imputed income on your paycheck. It will also be reflected in your year-end W2 [Box 1]. If you do not receive a paycheck from Caltech you will be taxed on this benefit through a 1099-MISC.
Disclaimer of Warranties: The quality of individual care providers depends largely on the information they provide, and any background and verification checks performed and training provided by Care.com. Caltech does not evaluate or insure the character or skill of any individual care provider, nor does it guarantee that all information provided by individual care providers is accurate or complete. Caltech does not evaluate the correctness or truthfulness of the information submitted by individual care providers and cannot be responsible for any false information submitted. Accordingly, Caltech, in providing access to Care Membership and child backup care Services, undertakes no responsibility for, and disclaims all liability arising out of, resulting from or related to, the quality and standards of Services provided, and in no event shall Caltech be liable for any damages of any kind that are attributable or in any way related to the quality and care of this Service.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS CARE.COM PLATFORM, CARE MEMBERSHIP AND THE SERVICE OFFERED THROUGH THIS PLATFORM IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. CALTECH EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. YOU AGREE TO VALIDATE AND VERIFY THE CORRECTNESS AND TRUTHFULNESS OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY CARE.COM AND INDIVIDUAL CARE PROVIDERS YOU UTILIZE.
Limitation of Liability: You expressly understand and agree Caltech shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from the use or the inability to use the Care.com Platform or Services.