I-9 Form: To comply with U.S. Law, Caltech must verify an employee's eligibility to work in the United States with an I-9 form. Section 1 of the I-9 Form must be completed by the employee prior to or by the first day of employment. Employees must present original unexpired documents to a representative in the Human Resources Department within 3 days of hire. A complete list of eligible documents can be found at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9. The consequences for not completing the I-9 within the required timeline can be significant.
Student/Employees only have to complete an I-9 form once. If an I-9 has been completed for another job on Campus, work in a new department can be assigned right away.
Caltech is committed to complying with Federal I-9 Regulations. Please contact Human Resources at 626-395-3300 or [email protected] to verify if we have an I-9 on file for someone you want to hire before assigning work.
Timely Pay: Time worked must be paid within the pay period cycle worked.
Once you have identified a student worker and confirmed that an I-9 form is complete. Please submit assignment and pay rate information to Records using the "Add New Student Assignment" transaction in Oracle's Employee Data Administration (EDA) module.
Records will send you and the student the new assignment number for timekeeping purposes.
If this is your first job at Caltech:
- Complete I-9 Form – please contact Human Resources 626-395-3300 or [email protected].
- Direct Deposit – is the most convenient and fastest way for students to receive their pay at Caltech. Students are encouraged to enroll in Direct Deposit to have their paychecks automatically deposited into their bank account. To enroll in Direct Deposit please go to HR Direct Deposit form.
- Your "Local Address" is where you are performing work. Keeping your local address updated is important as this address is used to mail Payroll Paychecks, Tax Forms and to tax you in the state you are working in:
– Log into your Access.Caltech.edu account
– Update "My Personal Information"
– Select Local Residence Address
You will need to enter the address where you are currently working. (if you relocate, please follow these steps to update your address immediately)
- W-4 – It is your responsibility to Submit W-4 (Federal Income Tax Withholding) Form. For those who do not submit W-4 information, the maximum withholding status will be applied. http://finance.caltech.edu/Controllers_Office/Payroll_Services/Payroll_Toolbox
- Reporting Hours Worked: Student employees are required to record all hours worked on a per pay period basis to ensure that you are compensated accurately for all hours worked. Please contact your department for instructions on reporting hours worked.