Visit the Pasadena Unified School District for more information on enrolling your child in school.
If you are employed by Caltech or Jet Propulsion Laboratory and residing within the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) and would like your child to attend Kindergarten through fifth grade at Longfellow School, you can apply online during the District's annual Open Enrollment-School Choice process or complete an intradistrict permit request at the Board of Education- Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records (Room 210) beginning in April. If you move into the District after Open Enrollment-School Choice ends, or have a child entering Transitional Kindergarten in the next academic year, you are also invited to complete a permit request at Room 210.
If you're a Caltech or JPL family residing in another school district, you will need to first apply for an interdistrict permit release from your district of residence and submit the release to PUSD's Office of Enrollment, Permits & Student Records in Room 210, then complete PUSD's permit request prior to registering for Longfellow. Interdistrict permit requests are accepted in May.
A letter from Caltech's or JPL's Office of Human Resources confirming the parent or legal guardian's employment must accompany the permit request. Please read and note the following important information:
- A permit will be issued provided there is space in the grade requested.
- The permit is valid until the student unenrolls from Longfellow.
- A permit may be revoked if there are attendance or discipline issues.
- Special Education students, students with IEPs, will first need to consult with the Special Education Department regarding placement.
- Transportation to and from school is not provided.
- Enrollment is predicated on capacity at the school site.
To register a child for the first time, the following documents will need to be presented at the school office:
- Child's original birth certificate
- Proof of current immunizations
- Two proofs of residency