How to contact Care.com?
Call 855-781-1303 24 hours 7 days a week
Chat virtually by visiting Caltech.care.com and click on ‘contact us' in the top right corner
What is backup childcare?
Backup childcare you can utilize when your regular childcare is not available due to an unplanned circumstance. Care.com provides access to the largest online community of backup childcare caregivers. This subsidized* benefit is available for in-home backup childcare services only. Understand more about backup childcare by reading the FAQs and the below examples of when backup childcare with Care.com should be utilized:
- Your babysitter or nanny is unavailable
- You need to work late
- Your regular daycare center is closed
- Your child's school is closed
- Your child is not feeling well
- You are working from home and need someone to watch your child
You will also have free access to Care.com's membership that provides unsubsidized long-term caregivers for children, adults, pets, and your home.
Why should you sign up for Care.com?
Childcare is not easy which is why Caltech is offering subsidized* backup childcare services. Plans do not always go as scheduled, Care.com can assist during unforeseen events or when your regular caregiver is not available. Sign up with Care.com now so you are ready when you need backup childcare in the future.
Who is Eligible for Subsidized Backup Childcare?
Caltech Community Members:
- Caltech Non-Visiting Faculty
- Benefit Eligible Staff
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Graduate Students
Eligible Dependents Include
- Infants to age 16 (or older with special needs)
- Legal guardianship
- Any other child for whom the eligible community member has legal guardianship
How much does it cost?
- Caltech will subsidize* up to 10-days of backup childcare each plan year (March 1st - February 28th)
- You pay a rate of $6/hour for in-home backup childcare
- The subsidized amount you receive toward backup childcare is considered taxable income*
When can I use this benefit?
Sign up with Care.com now so you are ready when you need backup childcare in the future. Watch a 1 minute video on how to enroll in Care.com and a 2 minute video on how to request services.
Where can I enroll, request backup childcare, and learn more?
Enroll and Request Services
- Visit Caltech.Care.com
- Download the ‘Care.com' mobile app from the Apple App Store or Google Play
- Call 855-781-1303
- For questions about Care.com backup childcare services, contact Care.com's customer service team:
- Visit Caltech.Care.com
- Call 855-781-1303 anytime, 24 hrs. a day
- Chat virtually by visiting Caltech.Care.com and clicking ‘contact us' in the top right corner
- For questions about Caltech backup childcare eligibility, contact the Caltech Benefits Department:
- Email [email protected]
- Call 626-395-6443 M-F 8am-5pm PT
- Read the FAQs to have a better understanding of the benefit, payment/taxation process, common backup childcare questions, and more.