Summary Plan Description
The Summary Plan Description (SPD), is a summary of the Caltech benefit program that focuses on our health, welfare, and retirement benefits. This benefits summary was created to help Faculty, Staff, and Postdoctoral Scholars understand the Caltech benefits program.
Click below for the 2021 SPD:
If you need more health & welfare information that is not included in the SPD, review the Evidence of Coverage (EOC) below.
There are changes to the Caltech Base Retirement Plan for new employees hired on or after January 1, 2022, including an updated contribution formula and vesting schedule that are detailed in the link below.
Evidence of Coverages (EOCs)
Outside of Southern California
Dental and Vision Plans
- 2022 Short Term Disability (STD) - Outside of CA
- 2022 Long Term Disability (LTD) – Staff
- 2022 Long Term Disability (LTD) - Faculty and Postdoctoral Scholars
Life Insurance and Personal Accident Insurance
- 2022 Unum Hospital Indemnity_Certificate
- 2022 Unum Critical Illness_Certificate
- 2022 Unum Accident_Certificate
- 2022 LegalShield_Overview
- 2022 IDShield_Overview
- 2022 Important_Notice for Unum & LegalShield
- 2022 Genworth Group Policy*
*Enrollment and payment is directly with the carrier.
Annual Required Notices
- 2022 Base Retirement Plan Fee Disclosure
- 2022 Voluntary Retirement Plan Fee Disclosure
- 2021 Combined Summary Annual Reports
- 2022 Qualified Default Investment Alternative (QDIA) Notice with Factsheets
- 2022 Health and Welfare Required Legal Notices
- HIPAA Privacy Notice and Other Important Rules Impacting Health and Welfare
Contact the Caltech or JPL Benefits Office if you have any questions.
- Campus: 626-395-6443 or [email protected]
- JPL: 818-354-4447 or contact AskHR