The Caltech Student Dental Insurance Plan covers routine dental exams and cleanings as well as non-routine care, such as oral surgery and crowns. Effective 9/1/22 the Plan is offered through Anthem and features a large national network of preferred dentists who are contracted with the Anthem.
Make Sure You Use an in-network Dentist
You may receive care from any dentist. However, to avoid paying a lot of money out of your own pocket, you should choose dentists who are part of the Anthem PPO network. You can still visit any dentist, but if the dentist is not in the Anthem network you will likely pay more.
The best way to make sure you use an in-network dentist is to follow these two steps:
- Before you schedule an appointment, find an Anthem in-network dentist using the provider search tool.
- When you schedule your appointment, confirm that the dentist is in-network for Anthem Dental.
How the Caltech Dental Plan Works
The Plan provides coverage based on the type of service you obtain. Most preventive visits are covered at 100%, for all other services you will be responsible for 20% or 50% after your deductible is satisfied up to the annual maximum.
- Your greatest savings will come from using in-network Dentists who are contracted with Anthem and agree to lower fees.
- You typically pay the most when you use out-of-network Dentists. Because they are not contracted with Anthem, these dentists may charge any amount for their services.
You don't need a dental plan ID card to receive care. When you visit your dentist, provide your name, date of birth and student ID number preceded by V0. If you want an ID card anyway, you can print one from the Anthem website or access it on the Sydney App.
For Additional Information
Dental Care While Traveling Outside the U.S.
You may receive regular or emergency dental care from any licensed dentist, anywhere in the world. The Caltech Student Dental Plan will reimburse you.
- When you are out of the country, you should pay the dentist for the services rendered at that time.
- Ask the dentist for a detailed billing statement that includes a clear detailed description of services, date of service and the cost of the service and a signature from the provider. (The currency will be converted by Anthem using the exchange rate based on the date of service, but it must be noted on the claim what type of currency was used.)
- A dentist signature is required in order to process any claim. The signature validates the services rendered and is mandatory for Anthem to process the claim.
- The billing statement must be translated into English before it is submitted.
- When you return home, forward the statement to Anthem, attached to a foreign claim form and the receipt of payment.