STUDENT VISION PLAN
NOTE: Re-enrollment in the Student Vision Plan is not automatic
The Caltech Student Vision Plan covers routine vision exams and includes annual allowances for eyeglass frames & lenses or contact lenses. The Plan is offered through EyeMed and features a diverse national network which includes preferred eye care practitioners and partners such as LensCrafters, Sears Optical, and Target Optical.
The Annual Cost will be billed to your Bursar account in the fall.
Annual Cost for Student including Dependent(s): $31.80
How to Enroll
Complete your enrollment online during the enrollment/waiver period on the Enrollment/Waiver Portal July 5-August 19th.
To enroll in the Caltech Student Vision Plan mid-year because you lost other coverage, please email to [email protected]
Make Sure you use a Vision Care Provider in the EyeMed Insight Network
You may receive care from any eyecare provider. However, you have greater cost savings when you use a provider in the EyeMed Insight Network.
Use EyeMed's online directory or download the EyeMed Members App (Apple, Google) to locate a provider.
How the Caltech Student Vision Plan Works
The Plan provides coverage based on Eye-Med's Summary of Benefits, which outlines what the plan will pay for services inside and outside of the network. You'll typically pay for anything you owe at an in-network provider after discounts are applied during your visit. For an out-of-network provider, you will pay the full cost up front and submit an Out-of-Network claim form for reimbursement.
- You typically save the most money when you use a vision care provider in the EyeMed network. Network providers contract with EyeMed and agree to charge you for services based on the Plan's Summary of Benefits.
- You typically pay more when you receive care from a provider outside of the EyeMed network because you are reimbursed less and not all services are eligible for reimbursement.
You don't need a vision ID card to receive care. When you visit your EyeMed provider, simply provide your name and date of birth. If you are registering for an account at Eyemed.com use just your UID to authenticate.
If you want an ID card anyway, you can print one at EyeMed.com or access it through the EyeMed Members App (Apple, Google).
For Additional Information
- Student Vision: How it Works
- How the Vision Insurance works inside and outside of the network
- Student Vision Summary of benefits
- Student Vision Details
- How to access and use your benefits
- EyeMed Out of Network Claim Form
- EyeMed Website
You can contact EyeMed directly at (866) 800-5457.